News & Notes
March 4, 2012
WELCOME TO GOOD SHEPHERD: Good Shepherd welcomes you in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Large-print worship folders and printed liturgy are available from the ushers. Ushers will also help with hearing assist devices for your audio needs. The cry room is located at the northwest corner of the sanctuary for your convenience. If you have other questions or needs, please stop at the information center. We invite you to stay following the 8 am service for coffee and goodies followed by Sunday School and Bible study. May God richly bless our time together and please come again.
BIBLE STUDY TODAY: Pastor Poppe will continue a congregational Bible study at 9:20 am today in the fellowship hall. Come and get some coffee, juice, and goodies and stay for “Witness, Mercy, and Life Together”. This study is based on the synodical theme for the triennium and includes several helpful resources. Please join us as we grow together in our witness, mercy and life together.
SUNDAY SCHOOL TODAY: Today in Sunday School, we study the account “Jesus Walks on Water”. Jesus was gracious to Peter when he feared drowning. Jesus is gracious to us and is ready to catch us as we sink in sin and unbelief; His hand is always strong to save us. Consider asking, How did Jesus rescue Peter? How does Jesus rescue us?
SUMMARY OF CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE: If you would like to review the basics of the Lutheran faith or find out what Lutherans believe, teach and confess, this is the Bible study for you. Come to room 109 on the main level at 9:20 am. Today’s topic is “The Holy Spirit and Sanctification”. There will be about 5 more lessons to complete this course and everyone is welcome. Completion of this series can lead to adult confirmation and communicant membership at Good Shepherd.
LIFELIGHT BIBLE STUDY: This study focuses on St. Paul’s letter to the church in Rome. One session is held on Wednesdays at 7:20 pm (following the 6:30 pm service) and the other meets on Thursdays at 1 pm.
LIFE MOMENT: As the people of Jesus’ day, we too live in an “adulterous and sinful generation” (Mark 8: 38). When in fear we fail to speak God’s truth, are we ashamed of Jesus? When in apathy we fail to speak up for those who cannot speak, are we ashamed of Jesus? All of us in so many ways through our words, thoughts, deeds and silence profess we are ashamed of Jesus. Where is our hope?
“Till then – nor is the boasting vain –
Till then I boast a Savior slain.
And oh, may this my portion be,
That Christ is not ashamed of me!”
(The Lutheran Hymnal, 346)
VOLUNTEER NEEDED: A volunteer pianist is needed to play several hymns at the Savannah Pines service on the second Sunday of each month at 1:30 pm . Vicar Siebert conducts these services. If you are interested in providing accompaniment for these services, please contact Vicar Siebert or the church office at (402) 423-7639.
GRACE, FAITH, SCRIPTURE & CHRIST ALONE: You can listen to stimulating conversations on topics such as: Darwinian Evolution & the DNS Enigma, Jesus Clears the Temple, Jesus & Beelzebub, Early Church Martyrs Perpetua & Felicitas and more. Issues, Etc. is a radio talk show hosted by LCMS Pastor Todd Wilken and produced by Lutheran Public Radio. You can listen on-demand at www.issuesetc.org.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Vacation Bible School will be the week of June 4-8, 2012. If you would like to volunteer to help with providing snacks, teaching or helping in the classrooms, helping with crafts or registration or in any of the other areas, please contact Patty Stradley at (402) 783-5400.
CORRECTION ON THE LUTHERAN WITNESS: The price of an annual subscription for the Lutheran Witness will be $15.60 which has changed from the amount quoted in last week’s News & Notes. Both new and renewal subscriptions will begin with the June/July 2012 issue. There are a total of eleven issues with the June/July issue as a combined issue. There is a sign-up sheet at the information center for both new subscribers and renewals. You may pay for your subscription by placing an envelope with the payment (check or cash) in the offering plate. Please label the envelope “Lutheran Witness”. The sign-up sheet will be at the information center until March 25th.
Offering a Classical Lutheran Education
Academic Excellence Low Student/Teacher Ratio
High Expectations Christ-Centered
Latin Instruction Grades K - 6
* National Lutheran Schools Week will be this week, March 4-10, 2012.
* Good Shepherd Lutheran School/Preschool Auction will take place on March 23, 2012 at Wilderness Ridge Lodge. Tickets will be sold after services in the church narthex. Tickets are $40 per person or you may reserve a table of 10 for the discounted price of $350. For more information or questions contact Robin Phillips at (402) 328-8692 or Nancy Stepp at (402) 797-7222. 4o DAYS FOR LIFE: From Feb. 22nd (Ash Wednesday) - April 1 (Palm Sunday) there will be an opportunity to focus on life issues. Please pray for an end to abortion and for the change of heart for abortion doctors and clinic workers. Planned Parenthood’s new facility is located at 5631 S. 48th St. This in on 48th St. between Hwy. 2 & Old Cheney Rd. We are allowed to pray on the sidewalk in front of the clinic BUT cannot block the entrance. NO parking is allowed in the Planned Parenthood lot or Sonic lot. You may park on any residential street. If you are unable to come to the clinic, please set aside a regular time to pray wherever is convenient for you. For further information or if you need a sign, contact Lyn Maaske at (402) 421-7363 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FINANCIAL AID: There are several different opportunities for scholarships for students preparing for full-time service in the church. More information and qualifications are available on the bulletin board in the fellowship hall.
VIDEO OF INTEREST: For those who are long-time members of Good Shepherd and remember our first pastor, Rev. Roger Schoolcraft, you may be interested to listen to the clip of Pastor Schoolcraft offering the prayer for the opening of the day in the House of Representatives. Listen at http://womack.house.gov/Multimedia/?VideoID=I27Wnwc_Fng
LCMS PRESIDENT, MATTHEW HARRISON SPEAKS: The LCMS objects to the use of drugs and procedures that are used to take the lives of unborn children, who are persons in the sight of God from the time of conception. If you would like to view President Harrison speaking before the House Committee and his comments on the birth control mandate, go to http://www.lcms.org/hhsmandate.
HOUSING NEEDED: The Mayer Lutheran Wind Ensemble from the Twin Cities will be at Good Shepherd to perform for the students of our school on Friday, March 23rd at 9:30 am. The Wind Ensemble will be arriving in Lincoln on the evening of March 22nd and will be in need of housing for one evening. If you are willing to help in this manner, please contact Mrs. Ahrens at Good Shepherd (402) 423-7677 for further information.
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK OF MARCH 4:
Mon 7:00 pm Alcoholics Anonymous - Rm. 108
Tues 6:00 am Men’s Bible Study
Wed 12:15 pm Lenten Service
5:00 pm Lenten Meal
5:30 pm Midweek Classes
6:30 pm Lenten Service/Communion
7:30 pm Adult Choir/LifeLight Bible Study
Thurs 1:00 pm LifeLight Bible Study
Fri 8:00 am Volunteers for Christ
6:30 pm Card Group
Sun 8:00 am Divine Service
9:20 am Sunday School/Bible Study
10:30 am Divine Service/Communion
1:30 pm Savannah Pines Service
ASSISTING WITH OUR SERVICES AND SERVICE:
Elder: Bob McClellan
Organist: Dr. Christopher Ahlman
Acolytes: 8 am: Gage Heithold
10:30 am: Erika Wimmer
Greeters: 8 am: Brendon & Amy Schmidt and Kaelyn
10:30 am: David & Jerika Perrin, Dean & Sam
Coffeemakers: Jim & Peggy Cather
Information Center: Sandy Langemeier
Ushers: 8 am: Joe Velasquez, Ralph Humphrey, Wayne Gudgel
10:30 am: Joe & Sharon Burke, Willis Legband, Nathan Keller
Communion Set-up: Shirley Green
Communion Clean-up: Kathy Everman
Meals on Wheels Today: The Burow family
Meals on Wheels Friday: Sondra Rathjen & Loraine Harnett
Please contact the church office if the following prayer requests become outdated. If you have prayer requests for either News & Notes or the prayer chain, please contact the church office.
PRAYERS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD: “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.” Colossians 4:2
* Jana Carrillo, sister of Jimmy Stepp, diagnosed with breast cancer.
* Roger Lanum, friend of Maynard & Joannie Michel, diagnosed with cancer. Please pray for successful treatment.
* Leah Dabbert, mother of Bruce Dabbert, diagnosed with cancer and beginning chemo.
* Melissa Wimmer, having knee replacement surgery on Monday.
* Marjorie Legband, sister-in-law of Willis Legband, undergoing medical treatment for cancer.
* Dale Johnson, family friend of the Bocks and Carpenters, for continued healing from injuries suffered in a severe traffic accident.
* Samantha, grand-daughter of Nancy Stepp’s cousin, recovering from a bone marrow transplant.
* Cindy Fox, mother of Nancy Stepp, recovering from additional eye surgery; continue to pray for retention of her sight.
* Byron Renter, father of Chad Renter, for continued success in cancer treatment.
* Roseann Anderson, mother of Lorie Knapp, recently diagnosed with breast cancer.
* Larry Eisenmann, for renewed faith and healing following surgery.
* Dean Schmeling, brother of Alvin Schmeling, diagnosed with bladder cancer.
* Jacque, mother of Dawn Renter, recovering from a broken wrist and shoulder injuries.
* Dean Meyer, husband of Alvin Schmeling’s sister, diagnosed with liver cancer and a growth on his colon.
* Doak Wegner, friend of Pastor and Barb Poppe, recently diagnosed with cancer and starting chemo.
* Cooper DeWitt, 2 year old great-grandson of Rollie & Marj Victor and cousin of Josh Voog, recently diagnosed with leukemia.
* Roger Wilkening, undergoing cancer treatment.
* Rollie Victor, anticipating hip surgery.
* Eldon Strasheim, undergoing medical treatments.
* Samuel Benjamin Venteicher, nephew of Daniel Bergquist, born 3 months prematurely.
* Lynda Mahloch, hospitalized.
* Victoria Sample, daughter of a friend of Bob Van Valkenburg who is struggling with multiple sclerosis.
FOR PEACE AND COMFORT: “But the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.” Psalm 94: 22
* for the family of Donald Helmberger, father of Brian Helmberger (friend of Good Shepherd) who was taken to his eternal home this week.
* for the family of Linda Wilkening, whose mother was taken to her eternal home recently.
FOR THANKSGIVING: “O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 106: 1
* for the blessing of a baby son for Vicar Siebert’s sister.
FOR OUR SHUT-IN MEMBERS:
Gene Denner Bob & Jan Heins Milton Launer
Jerry & Bonnie Gass Esther Schroeder Arvona Jaeger
Alberta Carskaddon Lois Goeres Marilyn Gadeken
Marian Schmieding JoAnn Ernst Lynda Mahloch
Lois Herpolsheimer Elaine Muggy Janet Schmeling
FOR THOSE IN LONG-TERM CARE:
Larry Alderson Jacob McClellan Sheryl Chism
Linda Swyers-Riehl Samuel Schwarz Lynn Poppe
Robert Jensen Maria Schwarz Cole Christensen
McKenna Smith Tony Schkade Sandra Schmidt
Josalynn Kennell Sam Malone George Kolodziejski
FOR THOSE IN THE MILITARY:
Kelli Kitchens B. J. Rohde
Michael Swyers Brock Ernst
Brent Flachsbart Jordan Ernst
Ron Van Valkenburg Jake Whitaker
Andrew Wolcott Zac Fitzsimmons
Michael Lichtenfeld Beth Eisenmann
Nicholas Carpenter Robert Humphrey
BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS TO:
March 4 Deb Dabbert
March 5 Samuel Eisenmann
March 6 Dakota Berndt, Emma Martin, Toni Shively
March 7 Paula Erickson, Steve Shively
March 8 Nicholas Crocker, Bryce Cuddy, Derek Poppe, Mickinzie Thompson
March 9 Braxton Beed, Karen Kammann
March 10 Justin Steinhauser
ANNIVERSARY BLESSINGS TO:
March 10 Dr. Christopher & Elizabeth Ahlman
THE SHEPHERD’S FLOCK THIS WEEK:
Attendance Gifts for Our Savior
Wed., Feb. 22 322
Sun., Feb. 26 295 $ 9,760.92
Growing in the Gospel $ 1,290.00
Totals for the Week 617 $ 11,050.92
Needed Weekly* $12,940.00
“20 Not 40" This Week $ 0.00
* based on the fiscal budget for the year ending 6/30/12. Lenten/Easter Schedule
Wednesday Schedule During Lent:
12:15 pm Lenten service
5:00 pm Lenten meals in the fellowship hall
5:30 pm Midweek classes
6:30 pm Lenten service
7:30 pm Adult choir/LifeLight Bible study
Sunday, Feb. 26th Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am with Communion at 10:30 am
Wednesday, Feb. 29th Services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm. Preschool/School parents are serving the Lenten meal.
Sunday, March 4th Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am with Communion at 8 am.
Wednesday, March 7th Services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm with Communion. Lenten meal will be served by the youth.
Sunday, March 11th Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am with Communion at 10:30 am
Wednesday, March 14th Services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm. Lenten meal at 5 pm. NO MIDWEEK CLASS
Sunday, March 18th Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am with Communion at 8 am.
Wednesday, March 21st Services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm with Communion. Lenten meal at 5 pm.
Sunday, March 25th Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am with Communion at 10:30 am.
Wednesday, March 28th Services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm. Lenten meal at 5 pm
Saturday, March 31st Easter Egg Hunt at 10 am
Sunday, April 1st Palm Sunday services at 8 am & 10:30 am. Children are invited to come 10 minutes early to participate in the Palm Sunday processional. Communion at both services.
Monday, April 2nd 6:30 pm Holy Monday service
Tuesday, April 3rd 6:30 pm Holy Tuesday service
Wednesday, April 4th 6:30 pm Holy Wednesday service. NO Lenten meal.
Thursday, April 5th Maundy Thursday services at 12:15 and 6:30 pm with Communion
Friday, April 6th Good Friday services at 12:15 and 7:30 pm.
Saturday, April 7th Easter Vigil service at 6:30 pm with Communion
Sunday, April 8th Easter Sunrise service at 6 am with Communion
Easter Breakfast at 7:30 am
Easter Service at 8:30 am with Communion
Easter Brunch at 9:30 am
Easter Service at 10:30 am with Communion