WELCOME TO GOOD SHEPHERD in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Large-print worship folders and printed liturgy are available from the ushers. Ushers will also be able to help with hearing assist devices for your audio needs. The cry room is located in the northwest corner of the sanctuary for your convenience. Please turn off all cell phones and do not bring food or drink into the sanctuary. If you have other questions or needs, please stop at the information center. You are invited to stay for coffee, juice, and goodies in the fellowship hall following the 8am service. The free-will offering at the window is used to support youth activities at Good Shepherd. Refreshment time will be followed by Sunday School (check at the information center for locations) and Bible study in the fellowship hall. May God richly bless our time together and please come again.
MISSION OFFERING: Funds gathered during Bible Study on Sundays for the coming months of November and December will be sent to Lutherans for Life.
BIBLE STUDY TODAY: In the fellowship hall we will be continuing with the study of what God’s Word tells us about sharing the gifts and talents given to us with our neighbors. The Summary of Christian Doctrine classes will also continue in room 109 between services.
YOUTH BIBLE STUDY will focus on the Reformation using the Luther movie. This class will meet in the youth room on the upper level at 9:20 am Sundays.
BIBLE STUDIES DURING THE WEEK
Tues. at 6 am Men’s Bible Study (book of Ruth)
Wed. at 7:30 pm Psalm 119
Thurs. at 1 pm LifeLight Bible Study of Hebrews
LIFE MOMENT: We live in H. O. P. E. — Having Optimism Pending Eternity. Because no matter what happens, we know that He loves us and our future is secure.
KNNA/CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY are collaborating on programming for KNNA 95.7 FM. The Concordia Radio Project is recording programs in Concordia University’s campus studio and then plans to broadcast them from Lincoln. This will begin with professor and student interviews, music groups and bands from the campus in Seward and possibly branch out from there. Tune in to listen to new programming on KNNA or online at www.thecross957.org.
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR STEPHEN MINISTRY TRAINING: What do Stephen Ministers do? Why would I want to become a Stephen Minister? Is it right for me? What does it take to become a Stephen Minister? How much of a time commitment is it? If Stephen Ministry has crossed your mind you are invited to sign up for an orientation session on November 13th at 7 pm in room 106. We will help you answer these and other questions. The sign-up sheet is on the Stephen Ministry table in the narthex. Even if you decide not to join Stephen Ministry after the training, the course will aid you in your daily life to show compassion, give encouragement, and help others. If you have questions, contact Gary Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or (402) 540-1916.
GOOD SHEPHERD MEMBERS aged 75+ will be receiving invitations to a special Thanksgiving meal being prepared for you and a short service in the sanctuary with an opportunity to partake of the Lord’s Supper. Please contact the church office and let us know if you are planning to come. There are two dates on the letter. The dinner will be on Thursday, Nov. 16th at noon. Hope to see you there!
GOOD SHEPHERD’S FOURTIETH ANNIVERSARY will be celebrated on Sunday, November 12th with Pastor Lance Berndt, former associate pastor at Good Shepherd, preaching at both services. During the education hour between services everyone is invited to meet in the sanctuary for a visit with Martin Luther. Following the 10:30 am service will be a dinner with ham, potatoes, green beans, and rolls provided. The congregation is asked to bring a salad or a pie. Sign-up sheets for helping with set-up, serving, clean-up and salads/pies will be in the narthex.
THE REFORMATION is a special book put out by Concordia Publishing House which will take you on a tour of the Reformation beginning with the world into which Martin Luther was born and continuing with his life, his protest of indulgences, the Diet of Worms, and how the Reformation spread throughout Europe and the world. A sample from this book is available at the information center. You may order this book by Cameron MacKenzie at cph.org at the cost of $29.99 plus taxes and shipping.
VETERANS DAY PROGRAM: This event will be hosted by the students of Good Shepherd Lutheran School & Preschool on Friday, Nov. 10th at 10 am to thank and honor those individuals currently serving or who have served in the United States Armed Forces. We will need some volunteers to help with the serving of the luncheon. Please contact Kim Bock at (402) 430-9108 or leave a message on the school phone (402) 423-7677 if you would like to help.
LINCOLN LUTHERAN CHOIR presents: 500: Reformed on Sunday, Nov. 19th at 3 pm at Grace Lutheran Church, 2225 Washington St., Lincoln. To commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, the choir will be presenting Reformation-focused literature , the centerpiece of which is J. S. Bach’s BWV 80 “Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott” (A Mighty Fortress is Our God). There will be soloists, a chamber orchestra, and the All City Girls Chorus.
REVISED COMMUNION SCHEDULE: Requests have been received which have prompted the Pastor and Elders of Good Shepherd to make a change in the scheduling of the Lord’s Supper. At the start of the new church year (which begins with Advent) the Lord’s Supper will be offered at both services on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays of the month and at the 8 am service on the 2nd Sunday of the month and at the 10:30 am service on the 4th Sunday of the month. Questions can be directed to one of the pastors or an elder.
STEWARDSHIP MOMENT: Matthew 5: 7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” This is one of many Bible passages that remind us that we reap what we sow. Likewise, what God puts into us (His own love, mercy, kindness, and generosity) – flows back out of us. For it all starts with His self-giving!
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 22:
Mon. 8:15 am Chapel
4:00 pm Homeschool Orchestra
7:00 pm Alcoholics Anonymous
Tues. 6:00 am Men’s Bible Study
8:15 am Chapel
Wed. 5:30 pm Midweek Classes
6:30 pm Midweek Service
7:30 pm Bible Study/Choir
Thurs. 8:15 am Chapel
1:00 pm LifeLight Bible Study
2:00 pm Homeschool Choirs
2 & 7 pm Sewing/Quilting Group
Fri. 8:00 am Volunteers for Christ
8:15 am Chapel
10:00 am Veterans Day Event
Sun. 8 :00 am Divine Service/Communion
9:20 am Meet Martin Luther—Sanctuary (for Bible study & Sunday School
10:30 am Divine Service/Communion
12:00 pm Anniversary meal & Presentation
2:30 pm Gramercy Service
ASSISTING WITH THE SERVICES AND SERVICE:
Elder: Kurt Stradley
Organist: Connie Stauffer
Acolytes: 8:00 am: Emma Roblyer
10:30 am: Emmalee Buresh
Greeters: 8:00 am: Bob & Marlene McClellan
10:30 am: Ron & Candy
Coffeemakers: Loraine Harnett, Sandy Langemeier
Information Center: Bob McClellan
Ushers: 8:00 am: Vickie Hughes, Rich & Lorelee Novak, Joel & Sarah Kaldahl
10:30 am: Roger & Gayleen Potter, Dale & Marilyn Meyer
Communion Set-up: Sondra Rathjen, Linda Reigle
Communion Clean-up: Linda Reigle, Suzie Znamenacek
Please contact the church office if the following prayer requests have become outdated. If you have a prayer request for the News & Notes, please contact the church office at (402) 423-7639.
- Lois Goeres, recovering at Tabitha.
- Mark Simnitt, recently diagnosed with cancer and considering treatment options.
- Pastor Mark Duer, former member of Good Shepherd, as he considers a call to Illinois.
- Mariah Niemeyer (Stradley), recovering from surgery.
- Natalee Fonyonga, niece of Jan Stehlik, diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. She will be undergoing chemo.
- Noel and Carol, sister and brother-in-law of Darla Posner, facing difficult life and medical choices.
- Charlotte Luethje, grandmother of Violet Kirk, for physical healing.
- Celeste, niece of Joe Velasquez, struggling with cancer.
- Del Meints, for healing of his eye.
- Ed Velasquez, brother of Joe Velasquez, dealing with health issues.
- Marjorie Victor, anticipating hip surgery.
- Anna Eisenmann, struggling with lupus and in treatment.
- Sherrie Neubaum, friend of Sharon Burke, battling cancer.
- Bonnie Gyberg, dealing with several medical issues.
- Warren Zakapco, friend of Dale & Marilyn Meyer, diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in his lungs and brain cancer.
- Ralph Humphrey, Jr., having multiple health problems.
- Desi Kessler, recovering from surgery and anticipating additional surgery.
- Joyce Thompson, recovering from surgery.
- Cleo Kessler, hospitalized.
- Harper, a good friend of Good Shepherd Lutheran School and her family as they battle to find answers and treatments for her FPIES disease.
- Greg Garison, nephew of Joe Velasquez, undergoing intense chemo.
- Martha Rochel, friend of Joe Velasquez, recently diagnosed with cancer.
- The people of Venezuela and other countries where chaos reigns.
- The family of Gary & Myrna Heckman’s daughter, Louisa, as they are dealing with the health of one of their children.
- John Reigle, recovering from surgery at home.
- Disney Turek, having a liver biopsy next week.
- Bob Yelkin, recovering from surgery.
- Mildred Humphrey, recovering at home from knee replacement.
- Diane Bolin, friend of Katy Williamson, beginning treatment for brain cancer.
- Lavonne Myers, dealing with medical issues.
- Clarabelle Brakhahn, mother of Patty Stradley, on hospice care.
- Marge Kelly, recovering from surgery at home.
- Hilda Eitzmann, recovering from surgery.
FOR PEACE AND COMFORT: “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” John 14: 27
IN THANKSGIVING: “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 136: 1
FOR EXPECTANT MOTHERS:
FOR OUR SHUT-IN MEMBERS: Francine Poppe
Lois Herpolsheimer Lynda Mahloch Arlene Hadenfeldt
Leola Krehnke Dr. Bob Heins Mary Ann Goeschel
Anita Armitstead Lois Goeres Don & Darlene Wiese
FOR THOSE IN THE MILITARY:
Ron Van Valkenburg Beth Eisenmann
FOR THOSE IN LONG-TERM CARE: Dorette Kleinkauf
Victoria Sample Betty Bluhm Rollie Victor
Cindy Fox Sheryl Chism Lynn Poppe
Anne Nelson Susanna Cantarero Zoe Groff
Willis Legband Welden Duer Nevaeh Kessler
BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS TO:
Nov. 5 Lane Isaacson, Kurt Thorin
Nov. 7 Dr. Christopher Ahlman, Jason Macklin, Jan Stehlik
Nov. 9 Ralph Humphrey, Jr., Cmdr. Jack Kirk, CHC, USN (ret.)
Nov. 10 Sam Christiansen, Michelle Thompson
Nov. 11 Rev. Timothy Brisbois, McKenna Groff
ANNIVERSARY BLESSINGS TO:
Nov. 5 Matt & Anne Duchek
Attendance: Sunday: 286