GOOD SHEPHERD NEWS & NOTES
April 16, 2017
WELCOME TO GOOD SHEPHERD in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Large-print worship folders and printed liturgy are available from the ushers. Ushers will also be able to help with hearing assist devices for your audio needs. The cry room is located in the northwest corner of the sanctuary for your convenience. If you have other questions or needs, please stop at the information center. You are invited to stay following the sunrise service and the 8:30 am service for Easter breakfast in the fellowship hall. (There will be no adult Bible study or Sunday School today.)The free-will offering at the window will be used to support youth activities at Good Shepherd. We thank the youth for sponsoring and serving Easter breakfast this year.
THANK YOU to everyone who provided food for Easter breakfast, helped to serve and clean up, participated in the special services this week, added their musical talents, helped to clean up the flower beds, encouraged our confirmands, ushered for services, provided Easter lilies, etc. Your efforts are truly appreciated.
LIFE MOMENT: The grace of God is more than a message: it’s a Person . . . His love given in crucified sacrifice changes minds, claims imaginations, heals hearts, and saves souls. His power shown in resurrected presence assigns infinite value to all bodies and ultimate sanctity to every human life. Not only will He treat the culture, He will cure the people, because He has defeated the devil and hell itself.
PRAYERS FOR YOUR FAMILY – FOR FAITHFULNESS: “Let love and faithfulness never leave my children, but bind these twin virtues around their necks and write them on the tablet of their hearts.” (Proverbs 3: 3).
JUNIOR CONFIRMATION took place at the Easter Vigil service on Saturday, April 15th. Our confirmands this year are: Nicholas Crocker, Calvin Cuddy, Max Fitzsimmons, Alaina Novacek, Grace Macklin, Shelby Pierson, Derek Poppe, Samantha Roblyer, Madalyn Stolcpart, and Jacob Wiest. Please keep these young people in your prayers that they would be faithful to the vows they made before God’s altar.
STEWARDSHIP MOMENT: Mark 16: 6 And hesaid to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here.” The Good News is not just that Jesus has risen, but that He is risen to bless us: there is no need to be alarmed. He still calls us His friends and brothers and means to bring us through death to resurrection as well. The Lord is risen, He is risen indeed!
ALTAR FLOWERS: The floral bouquet near the pulpit are given in loving memory of David Langemeier by Kevin, Beth, Caroline, and Emma O’Farrell. Beth is Sandy Langemeier’s daughter.
CONCERT: The Lincoln Home School Orchestras invite you to join us in welcoming the spring with beautiful music by Sibelius, Mendelssohn and Holst. The concert will be on Monday, April 18th at 7 pm in the fellowship hall.
LETTER FROM DR. AHLMAN: We received a letter and monthly newsletter recently from Dr. Ahlman with the news that he has announced his resignation as Evangelistic Missionary for the LCMS Office of International Mission. Staying in this position would have meant a relocation to St. Petersburg, Russia which they did not think was in the best interest of their family at the present time. Elizabeth, Matthias, and Helene will be returning to the USA on April 28th. Dr. Ahlman and Thomas will be staying to tie up loose ends, finish the school year, pack up their belongings, and return to the USA about June 10th.
The letter will be posted on the bulletin board in the fellowship hall if you would like to read the entire communication. Copies of the current newsletter will be on the table in the narthex. Please keep Dr. Ahlman and his family in your prayers as they seek God’s guidance in their future.
There will be further communication about funds we have gathered for the Ahlmans, what to do if you have been a monthly supporter, how to redirect your mission support should you desire to do so, etc. If you have any questions, please talk to Pastor Poppe or Pastor Maronde.
REFORMATION INSERTS: Today we will continue with week twenty-two in a series of inserts in the News & Notes that will lead up to the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation celebration. On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther nailed the 95 theses to the door of the castle church in Wittenburg, Germany kicking off the Lutheran Reformation. These inserts were created by the pastors of the Southeast Circuit of the North Dakota District of the LCMS to offer opportunities for additional learning about the history of the Church before the Reformation took place, and how God worked to bring His Church back to the Word of God. We continue today with a look at “The Diet of Worms.”
EASTER LILY DONATIONS: The lilies today are provided by the following people, some in memory of members of their family or friends.
Renos & Vivian Kunz
Curt & Corie Christiansen
Ron & Candy Kimes
Elaine Egner in memory of Joseph Egner
Clint Poppe, Jr. in memory of Lynn Pagels
Jason & Amy Jazwick in memory of Randy Rockenbach (Amy’s father)
Jim & Peggy Cather
Bob & Sondra Rathjen in memory of David Langemeier
Jerry & Arnette Garris
Sandy Langemeier in memory of David Langemeier
Alan & Karen Brodbeck in memory of their parents
Georgene Duer in memory of Ida Bahr (Georgene’s mother)
Joe & Sharon Burke in memory of Betty Carter
Aron & Wendy Wiest
Rehema Kavugha in thanksgiving for music and musicians who edify worship
Gary & Debra Baker in memory of Eva & Woody Baker
Gary & Debra Baker in memory of Arnold & Mildred Daberkow
David & Pam Schmeling
John & Linda Reigle in memory of their son, Timothy Reigle
John & Linda Reigle in memory of their son, Michael Reigle
Joe & Lucy Roberts
Tony & Shirley Manthey in memory of Betty Carter
Kathy Everman in memory of Betty Carter
LUTHERAN WOMEN IN MISSION will be having their monthly meeting on Monday, April 17th at 7 pm. Come for Bible study and a short business meeting. All ladies of the congregation are invited.
SOUP SUPPER: The Lincoln chapter of the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia is sponsoring a soup supper with homemade soups, rye bread, and desserts on Friday, April 28th from 5-7 pm at the WSI hall, 1430 N. 10th St. Tickets for adults will be available at the door for $8.00. For more information please call (402) 420-9580.
LINCOLN MARATHON: The 40th Lincoln Marathon will be held on Sunday, May 7th from 7 am until about 2 pm. Expect traffic delays along the route of the marathon. Runner are given the right of way during the race. Long waits can be avoided by driving around the course. South 70th St. will be open for the entirety of the race. Areas to avoid are north/south routes from 10th St. to 56th St. and Normal to Highway 2. Due to road construction on S. 16th St S. 17th St. will be closed from Vine St. to South St. from 6:50 am to about 8:30 am.
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 16:
Mon. NO SCHOOL
7:00 pm Lutheran Women in Mission
7:00 pm Home School Orchestra Concert
7:00 pm Alcoholics Anonymous
Tues. NO SCHOOL
6:00 am Men’s Bible Study
7:00 pm Church Council
Wed. 5:30 pm Midweek Classes
6:30 pm Midweek Service/Communion
7:30 pm Bible Study/Choir
Thurs. 8:15 am Chapel
1:00 pm LifeLight Bible Study
2 pm & 7 pm Sewing/Quilting Group
Fri. 8:00 am Volunteers for Christ
8:15 pm Chapel
Sun. 8:00 am Matins
9:20 am Sunday School & Bible Study
10:30 am Divine Service/Communion
ASSISTING WITH THE SERVICES AND SERVICE:
Elders: Kurt Stradley, Gary Baker, Matt Phillips
Organist: Connie Stauffer
Acolytes: 6:00 am: Paytn Renter
8:30 am: Caleb Durr
10:30 am: Madison Crocker
Greeters: 6:00 am: Betty Bluhm
8:30 am: Richard & Alice Heinke
Information Center: Rich & Lorelee Novak
Ushers: 6:00 am:
8:30 am: Bryan & Sandy Prenosil, Allen & Anna Wilkens
10:30 am: Aaron & Rachel Wagner, Ben Simnitt, Jacob Simnitt, Aaron Williamson
Communion Set-up: 6:00 am: Nancy Wagner
8:30 am: Sondra Rathjen
10:30 am: Linda Reigle
Communion Clean-up: 6:00 am: Sondra Rathjen
8:30 am: Linda Reigle
10:30 am: Shirley Green
Please contact the church office if the following prayer requests have become outdated. If you have a prayer request for the News & Notes or for the prayer chain, please contact the church office at (402) 423-7639.
* Jerry McGinn, friend of Bob Van Valkenburg, battling multiple severe medical problems.
* Celeste, niece of Joe Velasquez, struggling with cancer.
* Maureen Marshall, recovering from foot surgery.
* Ed Velasquez, brother of Joe Velasquez, dealing with health issues and needing home health care.
* Mary Ann Proescholdt, in hospice care at Savannah Pines, rm. 102.
* Sonya Brous, friend of Dee Indgjer, added to the heart transplant waiting list. Pray that a suitable heart will become available soon.
* Lorelee Novak, for a return of strength through healing and physical therapy.
* Diane Gavalier, cousin of Gary Heckman, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
* Duane Kratke, brother-in-law of Gary & Debra Baker and Bob & Gerayne Yelkin, started chemo again this week. Prayers of thanksgiving that recent bone scans showed no cancer. Please pray for relief from severe pain resulting from a bulging disk in his lower back.
* Betty Bluhm, continued prayers. She is finished with radiation treatments and beginning medication.
* Bonnie Gass, placed in hospice care at Tabitha.
* Ted Oehlert, cousin of Myrna Heckman, diagnosed with prostate cancer and kidney problems.
* Anna Eisenmann, struggling with lupus and in treatment.
* Larry Eisenmann, battling cancer and receiving chemo.
* Carl & Callie, for peace and patience in their wait to adopt a child.
* Warren Zakapco, friend of Dale & Marilyn Meyer, diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in his lungs and brain cancer.
* Kay Kohl, recovering at home.
* for Bridgette and Sophie, stepsister and niece of Rachel Wagner, in an accident.
* Beth Strasheim, friend of Gary & Myrna Heckman, diagnosed with breast cancer.
* Ralph Humphrey, Jr., having multiple medical issues.
* Mark Simnitt, healing for a broken collarbone.
* Betty Kieselhorst, undergoing chemotherapy.
* Robert Zook, recovering at home.
* the son-in-law of Rollie & Marj Victor, dealing with health issues.
* Paris Renter, recovering from ACL surgery.
* Kristen Liguori, sister of Karolyn Husa.
* Desi Kessler, recovering from surgery.
* Kimberly Berndt, recovering from knee surgery.
* Rollie Victor, at the Ambassador recovering from a fall.
* Cassie Borneman, hospitalized in Omaha.
* Karolyn Husa, with health issues.
* Del Meints, for healing of his eye.
* Janet Ball, friend of Cathy Meints, for healing of her heart.
* Cindy Worster, friend of Cathy Meints, for pain relief.
* Carol Navratil, for good test results.
* Sharon Wilkens, recovering from a broken shoulder and elbow.
* Raymond, father of Deb Burow, recovering from surgery.
FOR PEACE AND COMFORT: “But the Lord has become my stronghold, and my God the rock of my refuge.” Psalm 94: 22
* for the family of Melissa Macklin, whose grandfather was taken to his eternal home recently.
* for the family of Brett Clark, co-worker of Dee Indgjer, who was taken to his eternal home this week. Please include his wife, Julie in your prayers.
* for the family of Louis Schulz, father of Wendi Schulz, who was called to his eternal home recently.
THANKSGIVING: “O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.” Psalm 106: 1
FOR OUR SHUT-IN MEMBERS:
Lois Herpolsheimer Lynda Mahloch Bonnie Gass
Arlene Hadenfeldt Leola Krehnke Dr. Bob Heins
Anita Armitstead Clara Deines Lois Goeres
Mary Ann Goeschel Darlene Wiese Don Wiese
THOSE IN LONG-TERM CARE:
Victoria Sample Disney Turek Cooper DeWitt
Ryan Hausfeld Cindy Fox Carol Parrott
Maria Schwarz Sheryl Chism Lynn Poppe
Dorette Kleinkauf Rollie Victor Anne Nelson
Susanna Cantarero Zoe Groff Willis Legband
Gloria Henning Diane Greckel Nevaeh Kessler
FOR THOSE IN THE MILITARY:
Ron Van Valkenburg Beth Eisenmann
BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS TO:
April 16 Linda Reigle, Joe Reinke, Darlene Wiese
April 17 Joe Roberts
April 18 Thomas Ahlman, Marvin Thompson
April 19 Jill Deisley, Jared Groff
April 20 Paris Renter, Bob Roeder, Connie Swenson
April 21 Leon Burow, Paul Nispel, Rod Toelle
April 22 Alexander Luebbe, Elizabeth Luebbe, Kyson Schnell, Kazimiriz Zmiewski
ANNIVERSARY BLESSINGS TO:
April 19 Joe & Lindsey Reinke